Today I wanted to make something a little different than a loaf of bread. So, I decided to make a Bread Pudding…
My version is a banana coconut bread pudding with a delicious Bailey’s sauce. Bread pudding has been known as a poor man’s dessert and is usually made with stale bread. Over the years bread pudding has become very popular all over. Both stale or fresh breads can be used to make this rich creamy dessert.
In this recipe I’m using a good country style bread that is full of flavor all on it’s own. Than slices of sweet ripe bananas are placed on the bottom to create a surprise when you dig to the bottom of the dish. This pudding is chalk full of eggs and cream, that creates a wonderful custard like taste, and allowing the bread to soak up the egg mixture for an hour, makes an amazing texture.
Than I used ribbon grated coconut, these large white slices of crunchy coconut are not over powering like the small shredded ones that most of us are use to. Than we have the warm simply delicious Bailey’s sauce that is to die for. This sauce is what really takes this luscious bread pudding to a new level. Bailey’s is one of my favorite after dinner drinks. But, when warmed with sugar infused whipping cream … well, I’m sure you can just imagine what it must taste like.
4 egg yolks
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup icing sugar
6 tablespoons Bailey’s
2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
In a saucepan heat the whipping cream till scalding ( do not bring to a boil ) and be sure to continually stir so mot to burn the bottom. Remove from heat. In a small bowl whisk the yolks, bailey’s and sugar together. Add a little of the scalded milk to the bowl to bring up the temperature of the egg yolks. Now, add the yolk mixture to the whipping cream and whisk so the yolks won’t scramble. Place the saucepan back onto the heat and continue to simmer for a few minutes; continue to stir. Add in the cornstarch mixture and cook for a few more minutes till the sauce thickens.Remove from heat and serve hot with the bread pudding.
- 12 thick slices bread ( diced )
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 9 eggs
- ¾ cup ribbon coconut
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, whipping cream, milk, sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and coconut.
- Using a whisk beat all the ingredients till well blended.
- Add in the diced bread and mix with a spoon till all the bread is covered in the liquid mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow the bread to absorb the liquid for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Prep baking dish. Use a 9x12 baking dish or individual baking dishes.
- Slice bananas and place on the bottom of the baking dish. Add the filling on top of sliced bananas and place into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Wait 5 minutes before serving.