I can eat bagels in the morning, afternoon and evening. Just spread a thick layer of cold cream cheese on a freshly baked bagel topped with poppy or sesame seeds and you have a delicious, warm, chewy meal, fit for a king. Bagels look complicated and I think that’s because people are afraid of the boiling process. They have a hard enough time thinking about baking yeast breads already and now, they have to boil and bake them too. But, in fact they are very easy to make.
I wanted to do something a little different with my bagels. So, I created a potato bagel and shaped them into a star. I was thinking of calling them the Star of David bagels. But, for some reason I changed my mind. I thought the name should be more descriptive, I don’t know … what do you think?
Bagels have been around for hundreds of years and were invented in Europe. Today everyone knows what a bagel is and you can find them all over the place. New York style bagels are probably the most well known. I too, love the chewy texture with the slight crusty top on the New York bagel. Living here in the West I can’t always find really good bagels. So, I like to make my own. In my opinion, I think they are better then any bagel you could buy. I would love to hear your opinion of these bagels. Give them a try. You may never buy another bagel again.
Here are step-by-step images of how to make the star shape.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 cups warm potato water
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 3 - 4 cups bread flour
- 2¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅔ cup mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- You will need to cook a few potatoes to get enough potato water and mashed potatoes. Prep all your ingredients this will help to make sure you have everything and this will make things move faster. In a large bowl add three cups of flour.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of instant yeast and the potato water. Stir till well mixed, cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 2 to 3 hours.
- After a few hours, add the remaining yeast, honey, olive oil and salt. Crumble in the mashed potato and mix till blended.
- Start adding in the flour, you want enough flour to make a dough that will not stick to your hands while kneading. You want a dough on the stiff side " Not Sticky".
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes. Afterwards, take a piece of dough about the size of a golf ball. Stretch your dough out, if it doesn't rip it is kneaded enough.
- Cut the dough into 4¼ ounces, I ended up with 13 pieces you may get 12 to 15 depending on how much flour was needed to create a stiff dough. Using the palms of your hands roll each piece into a ball.
- Now, place the ball of dough onto a non-floured table, keeping the side of your hand on the table at all times. Move the dough into a circular motion quickly till the ball becomes smooth and round. Repeat with each piece of dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
- Prep your cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil. Place one ball onto a well floured surface and sprinkle liberally with flour. Dip a credit card in flour.
- SEE POST FOR STEP BY STEP IMAGES OF HOW TO MAKE STAR SHAPE
- Take the credit card and place into the middle of the dough. Cutting right through the dough. Shake it back and forth on the table.
- Rotate the card ⅓ and cut through the dough again.
- Rotate again and cut through the dough. You will end up with 3 cuts. Take the dough and open it up a little you should see 6 points.
- Slowly turn the dough inside out so, the points are pointing out not in.
- Place on the prepared cookie sheet and spray with oil. Do the same with each piece of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator overnight or for up to 3 days.
- The next day, turn to oven to 500F and fill a large pot with water and add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Prep another cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add one bagel at a time into the boiling water. I only did three bagels at a time. Boil for 1 minute then turn over and boil for another minute. Remove bagels with a slotted spoon and place on the cookie sheet. Place 6 on a cookie sheet and top with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack. Do the same with the remaining bagels till all are cooked.